Monday, August 18, 2014

Mixed Media canvas combined with upcyling (wall art)

Here is my altered canvas I made for my own home......All sorts of techniques or arts, crafts and upcycling have been used.... Well, I went with the black and white tiles coz these suit my curtains and interiors.....


To start with I took an old window frame of wood which was to be disposed...That should give you a good idea of its size ...approximately 3.5 feet in height....I wrapped this with canvas cloth which has been lying with me since ages (had bought it for some stich-work but never used it much) so it had many creases, stains, tears and cuts (ironing also could not do away with these)....However the task was to use these creases to compliment the work, so I used these patches to gives light and shadow effect wherever damaged, stick accessories, wherever torn or cut......
The major task was to nail the canvas to the frame. Once done, I marked out areas which required covering up or had folds...Accordingly I made a sketch according to make this balcony scene....














So what are the techniques used.........The base painting is of acrylic paints....On the right side (the scene outside the balcony. I have used decoupage technique and modge podge (of course to seal the holes) and intentionally kept jolly light colors to portray the brighter ide of the world!. Have used  some water colors to fill empty patches and to give a sky effect..The balcony railing is a 3D black outliner. I used this medium such that it reflects light and look like metal/ grill work...



In the balcony I have placed some cats made out of paper mache...I chose this medium as paper mache is great to give a 3 D effect and when I put on the light on the wall to which this is framed, it throws a nice real cat shadow.....


I have also made a glass bowl which is a cut out from an old plastic packaging material  and colored with see through glass paints to give the water effect (and also under the light it throws a nice blue shadows like real water bowls).....


Coming to the  right side of the canvas (this was tough as there were to many holes spread across and I have used folds of the cloth as wall corners which worked very well) I have accessorised the painting using some embellishments, buttons, pearls and glass pieces. Around the mirror to create a wire look I have used some paper quilling techniques and colored in bronze…


The wall clock is my favourite….II it’s a real operational clock I have built of an old wrist watch …I have carefully dismantled and rearranged the watch to make it a real miniature wall clock…

Don't miss my pencil sketch in the extreme corner which is framed in an anklet giving it a vintage look.

I really loved the whole look. And one fine day when no one was at home I got this framed on my wall to see everyone pleasantly surprised in the evening!!!
 
 
Here is a glimpse of some of the basic materials used
 
Other supplies: watercolor set American crafts, paper matte finish modge podge, acrylic paints, other embellishments as mentioned above.


Linking this to http://gloriadesignschallenge.blogspot.ch/2014/08/challenge-13-lets-cycleup-cycle-that-is.html

Anything goes http://craftingfromtheheartchallengeblog.blogspot.in/

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/ Anything goes

http://alteredeclectics.blogspot.in/

http://reves2scrap.blogspot.fr/ anything goes with pearls

http://memascrafts.blogspot.in/2013/08/august-2014-anything-goes.html
 

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. I have never seen anything like this in recent years! I love all the bits and pieces and the techniques. Oh, my...just totally so super cool. Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful work - TFS with us over at Altered Eclectics this month. Hugz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning project. Love all the techniques and detailing. I especially like the cats on the balcony. Thank you for joining us over at Crafty Catz. Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gobsmackingly stunning love the scene and fantastic embellishments --thanks for joining us at Crafting from the Heart
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  6. the link to challenge is not working at moment could you link up please would hate for this project to be deleted
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful creation! Love the fabulous colors. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an amazing scenery! Thanks for joining August Anything Goes challenge at Memas Crafts. Princess – DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great mixed media project. Love all the details. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz. Cindy-GDT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so beautiful. Love all the elements of your project. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, thanks for joining Mema's Crafts challenge.

    ReplyDelete